Critical thinking – Looking for good reasons and sound evidence to make fair decisions.
Thinking critically is important to:
- consider the validity and reliability of information
- understand the impact of point of view and perspective
- understand ways that our thinking can be influenced
Critical thinking looks and sounds like:
- I looked for additional information and facts before deciding what I believed
- I listened carefully to the opinions of other people
- I took my time to think about the facts before deciding what to believe
- I changed my view after hearing more information
- I considered how reliable information sources were when gathering information
- I looked for evidence to help me decide
- I could see different points of view
- I understand that my situation may affect my view
- I asked questions to find out more before deciding what to believe.
With the huge amount of information available to us now, this is more important than ever – don't believe everything google tells you! - Is it true? Is it real? Who wrote it and why?