Developing the ability to understand the feelings of others.
Using knowledge of how others are feeling to shape your actions.
Empathy looks and sounds like:
- I put myself in someone else's shoes and thought about how they were feeling.
- I thought about why someone else would speak, respond or behave in a certain way.
- I went and learnt more about a situation in order to understand it better.
- I apologized to someone when I considered how my words or actins made them feel.
- I could tell how someone was feeling by looking at their body language and facial expressions.
- I asked questions to help understand how someone was feeling.
- I considered the opinions and perspectives of others before responding.
- I thought about how my comments would make others feel.
- I tried to see a situation from many perspectives.
- I used empathy to help someone through a tough situation.