Bourke-Walgett School of Distance Education

Isolated Yet Educated

Telephone02 6828 1374

Emailwalgett-d.school@det.nsw.edu.au

How to tackle each week

Each Distance education enrolment can be in a different enrolment category and context. The students programs are designed to cater and meet the needs of each individual student, this may mean that your students program looks very different to another students of the same year. Hence organisational structures may also vary from enrolment to enrolment. The hints that follow are a guide to what a week may look like and may act as a guide for supervisors.

  • check morning messages and the satellite timetable – if these are applicable for your student, take note of any notices.
  • start work at the same time each day if possible
  • do a little of every subject each day.
  • each student should work for no more than 6 hours per day. This includes breaks.
  • look for signs of fatigue in your students and provide appropriate breaks as part of your routine
  • guide and encourage your student to do their best
  • listen and make helpful suggestions when you respond
  • encourage neatest, best work always
  • allow time for students to provide feedback to their teacher
  • double check that all work is done then collate for return
  • keep in touch with your students teacher either by completing evaluation sheets, recording messages, email or by phoning especially if you have any variations to your week or work concerns
  • mail all the completed work, this may be via the post or digitally – a weekly return of work is highly recommended.

How much time will be spent on each subject

The NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) syllabus requirements can be taught in 80% of a typical 9am to 3pm five day school week.The remaining 20%of the school week is left free for additional activities at the school's discretion. For example, many schools use this time for languages, additional school sport, concert rehearsals, religious education and special projects.

English and Mathematics make up about 50% of the school week–this is equivalent to at least12 hours each week. The other subjects are spread across the remaining time (see pie chart below). The 6–10%of time noted below represents between 1.5 and 2.5 hours per week.

The use of computers is included in every stage of every subject.

Having a range of percentages allows schools to program more time for English in the earlier years.

There are many different ways for  teachers to organise lessons effectively.Talk to your child's teacher about what they expect to cover in class and how you can help your child at home.     

Contacting us

A successful education requires regular communication. There are many ways this can be achieved and maintained. Your students teacher will use a variety of ways to contact you. You are encouraged to negotiate with your class teacher the most suitable way for your circumstances. Some examples are

  • phone
  • email
  • satellite
  • mini-schools
  • school visits
  • integration days
  • field services
  • negotiated face to face meetings either in person or video conferencing.
  • mail

Contact information

Walgett Centre email -  Walgett-d.school@det.nsw.edu.au

Bouirke Centre email - Bourkewal-d.school@det.nsw.edu.au

Principal email – wendy.hay@det.nsw.edu.au

Walgett Campus phone number – 02 6828 1374

Bourke Campus phone number – 02 6872 2424